Friday, October 09, 2009

The Nobel prize? Really?

When the French, yeah, the French, can see it, maybe there could be a chance for San Francisco after all.

Remember, it was the French president, of all people, who described our president as naive and narcisstic, when it comes to his approach to atomic threats from Iran. Yeah, the French president. (I may be wrong about this, but my impression is that the last time the French were seriously warlike was with Napoleon. Or maybe back in 1066.)

I don't think it's that the French have decided to "cowboy up." (I'm in Arizona right now, and I heard somebody say that.) I think it's that the French are thinking that they are closer to Iran than we are, and they are seeing Putin "cowboy up."

Could it be that the French are rightly concerned whether or not we could be trusted to come to the rescue, for a third time?

And that's a fair question, the answer to which I'm not at all certain I'm comfortable that I know how it should be answered, let alone how it would be answered when the time comes.

No comments: