Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Think of it as Yuletime collectivism . . .

A transit strike in New York in the middle of the Christmas and year end rush. Of course, there's got to be a reason.

"Transit workers are tired of being underappreciated and disrespected," TWU chief Roger Toussaint said, announcing the strike by his 34,000 union members early on Tuesday.

I don't know about you, but nothing earns my respect more quickly than somebody really annoying the hell out of me by adding a whole bunch of excess inconvenience to me during a stressful time of year when I'm just trying to get to the place where I get to exhale and enjoy my family. Yeah, if I had to walk forty blocks to work in the winter, that would really make me appreciate the guys who made me do it.

Betcha the city could buy bike racks for about 3 million bikes with what the union transit workers get. And have money left over to pay good wages to a much smaller crew of non-unionized transit workers.

Hey, it's just a thought in the spirit of the season.

No comments: