Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Call them the "urinarily challenged" . . .

Here's news. The city of Eugene is working on amending its laws so as to permit transgendered people to use the restroom of their choice, rather than restrooms of their -- well -- would you call it restrooms of their birth?

There is opposition. Some people (we'll call them "women" for now but that could change) are concerned that permitting people bearing unsuitable urinary equipage into restrooms not designed with their particularities in mind might expose "normal" people (normal, hah!) to sexual predation. Of course, the trangendered folk respond that they aren't actually sexual predators. They just want to pee in a fashion more consistent with how they always imagined themselves to be. Is that so wrong?

I have but two observations:

First, as a normal male (normal, hah!) I don't want to go into a female restroom. I don't know what you people are doing in there; I don't want to know. I think if I knew, it would scare me.

Second, if ladies are fearful of sexual predators lurking in their restrooms, they should certainly not be forced to go into those restrooms where they feel uncomfortable.

They should just hold it.

I suspect a lot of women already hold it all the time rather than go to a restroom.

Urinary retention would explain a lot of otherwise incomprehensible behavior.

No comments: