Thursday, March 31, 2005

Sometimes, things work out . . .

I've been noticing a number of reports, editorials, alerts, etc., all about the present American epidemic of obesity. People are eating so well that they are eating themselves into an early grave. (Me, too.) Food is cheap for Americans in the post 20th century, whereas all through the history of mankind, food has been expensive in terms of the number of calories that had to be burned to get more food.

But look. It's like magic. Cheap and abundant food equals no more Social Security problem!

Lots of fat people are going to die off before they claim their social security, thus spreading the finite fund among a smaller number of (thin) people. Maybe we actually have plenty of money-- if we can just get all our fat people to make a couple three kids before they die of heart failure.

(And in case anybody can't tell, I'm kidding.)

(At least I think I'm kidding.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

- just pull the [virtual] tube...

Anonymous said...

On one hand, we'll either prove or disprove one of Darwin's postulates on the survivorship of the fittest. At that point, I hesitate discussing this thesis further.

On the other hand, I remember my grandma was saying, "While thin one is dying, the fat one is only drying."